In The Living Coast we care about people and the rest of nature in the “biosphere”, our mission being to pioneer a positive future that better connects both – by building relationships and inspiring better ways of living.
We are thus recognised as a World Biosphere Region by the United Nations body UNESCO – a special place that serves as an international demonstration area for sustainability.
Our Vision is:
“To create a world-class environment, that is economically successful and enjoyed by all – forever.”
Our Objectives are to:
- Conserve and enhance nature
- Support sustainable human development
- Promote environmental awareness, knowledge, learning and engagement
Our Actions include:
- Nature Conservation – improving urban green spaces with wildflowers, and creating ‘rain gardens’ for ground water quality and flood alleviation.
- Sustainable Socio-Economic Development – promoting water efficiency, active travel, outdoor recreation and eco-tourism.
- Environmental Awareness – actively engaging local people, delivering learning in schools, and working with universities to build knowledge.
Our Priority Themes to add value to are:
- Environmental awareness – of local people, especially children and young people
- Tourism & Recreation – by visitors and residents, to further economic & social development
- ‘Green Infrastructure’ – enhanced networks of greenspace from town to downs, which provide multiple benefits (‘ecosystem services’) from access to conservation to water management
- Water – improving local water quality, quantity, and public awareness of our groundwater chalk aquifer, as well as coastal/marine environment
- Research & Monitoring – working with universities and others to improve our applied understanding of the local environment
Our Biosphere Management Strategy (2014 to 2019) covers a broad range of topics for local environmental action:
Join our network of over 2000 Friends of The Living Coast for regular updates on our work.